Search this blog


Home About Contact Links



Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Miss World beauties, no bikinis for Megan  

For the first time in years, Miss World contestants will not wear bikinis in favor of less-revealing attire, as the annual pageant is set to hold its culminating night in Muslim-majority Indonesia.

The Philippines' delegate, Megan Young, is ready for the challenge.

Before leaving for Indonesia on Tuesday night, the 23-year-old actress said she welcomes the change in the beach fashion competition, and even expressed excitement in taking part in a unique iteration of the long-running pageant.

Noting there will still be a "beach body" segment, where contestants take turns in a parade of swimwear, Young said, "This time, we will be wearing a one-piece bathing suit with a full sarong, and you know, I'm excited actually for that."


The Miss World Organization, which is based in the United Kingdom, earlier announced the attire change, with chairwoman Julia Morley telling the Associated Press the move is to avoid "being disrespectful" considering the coronation night's venue.

Indonesia, the world's most populous Islamic country, is hosting the beauty competition for the first time.

As international contestants arrived there Tuesday for the pageant's kick-off in Bali, Muslim groups reportedly staged protests hitting the supposed "exploitation, insult and humiliation of women" by Miss World.

'Come what may'

Addressing calls for the cancellation of the pageant in Indonesia, Miss World Philippines director Cory Quirino said the international competition is pushing through "come what may," citing the UK-based organizers' decision on the matter.

Referring to the move to tweak Miss World's swimwear section due to cultural sensitivity, Young said, "It's the first time in history in Miss World that that's ever happened, and it's exciting to be part of that mark."

Speaking with reporters during a recent media gathering for her send-off to the September 28 finals night, Young added she is excited to "see how these ladies (fellow contestants) can actually work the beach without showcasing their figures."

"I mean, how can you be sexy and flaunt those abs that people can't see? I think it all boils down to confidence at the end of the day, how you work the stage, and how you show them that, 'Hey, I'm wearing a sarong but I'm going to work the stage,'" she said.

Focusing on weakness

Among the various competitions within the pageant, however, Young has devoted more preparation for the sports event, saying she has "never really been a sporty person."

"I had no sports growing up, but I as I grew up I started going to the gym, I started doing boxing, I started getting more active. That is what engaged, what got my healthy lifestyle on track.

"Even though I don't have a sport like swimming, basketball, or badminton, I'm confident enough to say that I am physically fit and ready for the sports challenge in Indonesia," she said.

Young added: "Iyon talaga 'yung pinaghandaan ko, because, you know, your weaknesses, you should always work on them. Even before Miss World Philippines, I was already working on that."

'Bringing prayers'

Despite expressing confidence in her chances in the competition, Young admitted feeling pressured as she is representing the Philippines after its recent successes in international pageants.

Her predecessors, Queneerich Rehman and Gwendoline Ruais, finished in the Top 15 and first runner-up, respectively, in 2011 and 2012.

Since 2011, Philippine delegates to major international pageants including Miss Universe, Miss International and Miss Earth have consistently entered the semifinals.

Crediting the "overwhelming support" for her mixed emotions, Young said, "Iba pala 'yung pakiramdam when you're representing the country, it's pressure... It's so nerve-wracking. But I'm so excited and I'm so happy."

Asked what she will be bringing as a "lucky charm" to Miss World, the actress only said, "I'm bringing my prayers, the prayers from other people. That everybody else is smiling along with me, that's what I'm bringing with me."

abs-cbnnews.com

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories